Design Director Reports to
Executive Director Direct Reports
THE LINE Design Team Department
THE LINE Role Purpose
The Design Director in THE LINE Design team will lead and manage the design of different assets related to The Line. The Director of Design will lead a design team with respective plans, schedules, and will organize and coordinate the design work is executed on projects of all scales.Role & Responsibilities
- Develop NEOM architecture design and ensures implementation across regions
- Responsible as part of the senior management team for delivering Projects Design Management mandate, including stakeholder engagement internally and externally
- Managing the design by creative approach and aesthetic design
- Design delivery from concept design to completion.
- Responsible to deliver the design of various architectural typologies: residential, mixed use, commercial, public, healthcare, educational, civic and cultural, etc.
- Manage architectural design consultants to deliver NEOM architectural content and context
- Strong ability to prepare, develop and edit drawings and presentations
- Supervise the production of visualization, pre-concept, concept, developed and detailed design
- Acts as Lead reviewer of qualitative architectural design review process, providing analysis, comment, and recommendation to executive management.
- Management and oversight of Senior Architects, Architects, Designers within the department and across different sectors/departments
- Draft comprehensive architectural sets from concept until detailed design documents
- Manages Design and Asset Brief compliance, completeness and accuracy, including design coordination within architecture and across disciplines
- Lead, develop and review design asset briefs
- Prepare SoW, specifications, reports and related data tables
- Lead and develop design manuals, standard design documents
- Manages preparation of and checks materials schedules and sample boards and mock-ups
- Manages preparation of and checks FF&E schedules and sourcing, including samples and mock-ups as appropriate
- Understanding materiality and its specifications
- Understanding Public realm design and application
- Technical detailing and construction administration experience
- Ability to solve design issues in a creative and pragmatic way by developing multiple designs options that meet the design approach and budget
- Manage communication, coordination, and management of consultants, contractors, various NEOM departments/sectors
- Produce deliverables in accordance with NEOM standards and policies.
Background, Skills & Qualifications
- 20+ years of post-graduate outstanding architectural design and management experience
- Proven related experience in an Architectural Practice, including management of international design consultants across sectors and typologies
- Experience working in signature architecture design studios
- Design experience in various architectural types: residential, mix use, commercial, public, healthcare, educational, etc.
- Experience and extensive knowledge on design and construction materials and their application
- Design experience of public realm design and application
- Extensive project experience with emphasis on large projects and programs
- Experience in Middle East is appreciated
- Understanding of financial and commercial management of projects.
- Full understanding of risk management and ability to transmit the same to others.
- Understanding of scope definition, interface and ability to transmit the same to others.
- Full knowledge of international standards, policies, codes and procedures and ability to transmit the same to others.
- Full knowledge of Statutory Authorities requirements,
- Knowledge of international and local codes, regulations and submission requirements.
- Developed knowledge of Sustainable Design principles.
- Participating in architectural and design international competitions, exhibitions, etc.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Excellent conceptual and design skills, with emphasis on aesthetics
- Fluent in writing and speaking English, spoken and written
- Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills, communication with clarity, purpose and accuracy
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to negotiate,
- Attention to detail and a methodical approach to work.
- Flexibility and attitude towards company objectives.
- Cordial relationships with clients and stakeholders.
- Commitment to innovation and design excellence
- Outstanding presentation skills.
- Excellent ability in Revit, AutoCAD, Rhino, Adobe Suite; Grasshopper and V-Ray is a plus
- Solid knowledge of products, materials, zoning / building codes and construction methods
- Strong organizational skills, ability to work under pressure, meet tight deadlines on budget and on time
- A keen eye for attention to detail and accuracy
- Proactive and self-motivated, with the ability to take initiative in response to direction from project managers, directors and partners
- A team player, with a flexible and open attitude towards new ways of working and collaborating
- Bachelors Degree in Architecture, Engineering or a Master’s Degree in Engineering or related discipline