Development Director Job Code
Executive Director and Team Lead Direct Reports
Development Managers, Marketing & Sales Team. Division
"THE LINE" Proponent Department
THE LINE Proponent Role Purpose
The Development Director
is responsible for managing the development of a mixed-use portfolio in an assigned precinct on the Mirror Line from inception to delivery and handover/occupation. The assets will include residential, retail, hospitality and commercial offices.
This will require working closely with Urban Planning, designers, Neom Sectors, Departments and NEOM Finance to create development strategies that meet the Neom commercial objectives to maximise return on invested capital and operating profitability and management of cashflow. This will involve preparing development programs and business cases that target optimal asset mixes (quantum, type, quality, price points, etc) for each asset considering phasing, marketing strategies and investor attraction to achieve optimized outcomes.
The Development Director shall also collaborate with colleagues and stakeholders across the Proponent, Sectors and NEOM Department teams to enhance a culture of collaboration, development excellence, leading design and delivery methodologies, and quality of built assets, to deliver the NEOM vision on time, on budget and to the highest and best international standards.Key Accountabilities & Activities
Background, Skills & Qualifications
- Report to the Executive Director and manage, co-ordinate and direct all aspects of asset development across relating to NIA and the Aerotropolis.
- Lead, coordinate and oversee Real Estate development, planning, and finance, including any proposed Public/Private Partnerships (PPP's).
- Capitalize on extensive knowledge and experience of concept strategies, development programs and business cases to review and recommend endorsement of all stages of project proposal before proceeding to master planning phases.
- Collaborate closely and work in conjunction with NEOM Urban Planning, NEOM Projects and all NEOM Sector Heads and Departments, to define the regional master plan and agree the infrastructure assets required for, and to be delivered, in the regions thereon.
- Identify and define strategy for delivery of the phasing and the development strategy, in coordination with all required NEOM Sectors and Departments.
- Ensure business cases are executed and delivered to the best interests, and financial benefit, of NEOM and manage stakeholder relationships at all levels, particularly any joint venture stakeholders.
- Identify regulatory requirements and ensure corporate governance required to operate in the identified framework.
- Oversee, lead and mentor direct and outsourced completion of all aspects of the development process including legal framework, contract negotiations, procurement, consultant/contractor appointment and project execution.
- Ensure all technical procedures adapted meet with approved NEOM corporate operational objectives.
- Oversee direct reports to actively implement risk mitigation measures to ensure business cases are secured to meet profit and turnover targets.
- Manage direct reports to ensure that feasibility, program, design, technical, quality and leasing specifications of projects are achieved through to completion and handover.
- Provide regular feedback with regard to business plans, including project status, risk and approved feasibility hurdle rates to Executive Director.
- Coordinate and organize all development disciplines, with the objective of harmonizing the diversified functions to deliver completed projects in accordance with approved business case objectives.
- Prepare RFP and other procurement plans for the delivery of the assets, as required.
- Manage interfaces between various NEOM entities to ensure strict adherence to the agreed delivery schedules and develop contingency recovery schedule, as and when required.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- 20+ years extensive experience in leading and delivering multi-asset and multi-disciplinary, complex developments, at least 10 of which in a senior management role.
- Detailed knowledge of, and fully conversant with, development of concept strategies, development programs and business cases for regional and urban developments.
- Proven track record in relevant real estate development, technical competence across all property development disciplines and P&L accountability.
- In-depth understanding of economic and business/venture strategies with ability to problem-solve and make effective decisions in a fast-paced environment, with good knowledge of technology to support business management.
- Proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple, design related tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent communicator (verbal and written) and a good command of English and ability to present confidently to small and large audiences
- Proven ability to build professional relationships and trust, with colleagues and internal and external stakeholders alike, with interpersonal skills to build effective relationships across all levels of the organization.
- Fully computer literate, proficient in Microsoft Office applications, good knowledge of Microsoft Project, Primavera P6 is desirable
- As NEOM is in start-up mode with accelerated programs, the Director position requires total commitment and flexibility to achieve key, strategic targets that may require working additional hours.
- Strong leadership ability and rational judgement and reasoning skills, with proven ability to communicate effectively at design office, site, management, and client levels.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Admin., Economics, Real Estate, Architecture, Master Planning or Engineering from an accredited university – MBA is desirable.
- Professional registration and accreditation with Economics, Real Estate, Engineer or Urban Design Institute i.e. MACCE, MIED, CARB, PE, MICE, PMP etc.
- Minimum 25 years' experience and proven track record in leading and delivering multi-asset, complex developments with partners, with 10 years in a senior management role, preferably in the Middle East.
- History of presentation and participation in Senior Executive and Board Meetings.
- Demonstrate a consistent and acceptable employment history and duration in previous roles held.
- Excellent communication skills, with high standard of English (oral and written).