Senior Data Scientist
Working at our iconic office in King’s Cross, London, and virtually via Microsoft TeamsYour new role at NewDay
The Data Science team is at the heart of NewDay, solving real world problems and providing transformational value for the business. Through our proprietary platforms and analytical assets, we provide infrastructure, data and insights to our business partners. Through our strong credit data science models and reporting capabilities, we support responsible lending and a top-notch credit journey for our customers.
The Specialist Data Scientist will be a key contributor to the Data Science team at NewDay. Over the past few years, we have built the team and framework to produce powerful data science solutions for all aspects of the customer journey (Customer acquisition, Customer management, Collections, Affordability, Fraud and others), using modern data science methodologies and multiple sources of data, building on the strong foundation of expert insight into credit risk behaviours.
The team is made up of several backgrounds and profiles, with two main skillsets: data science and credit experience and knowledge. Any successful candidate for the role is likely to have a strong modelling background and work proactively to round up their profile and ultimately master both skillsets along with a solid understanding of our data.About NewDay
We help people move forward with credit, and help our colleagues to move their careers forward too.
We use our highly flexible, scalable, and multi-product digital credit engine to power over 120 million transactions every year. Our brands include Aqua, marbles, fluid and Bip. We partner with leading brands such as John Lewis, AO, Argos and DEKO.
Over 5 million UK customers are supported by our award-winning customer service.
At NewDay, we value all types of diversity. We’re an equal opportunity employer and believe that our differences create a vibrant, authentic working culture. We want all our colleagues to feel able to bring their whole selves to work. We don’t discriminate on the basis of age, physical or mental disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and carer status, race (including colour, nationality, and ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. We make sure that every job is crafted to be inclusive and that people with disabilities or caring responsibilities can take part in the application and interview process. Tell us if you need accommodations: we’ll put reasonable adjustments in place to support you.Our dynamic NewDay culture
We’re focused on what will drive impact in helping people move forward with credit. Our distinctive culture is geared to spark innovation and team working – with lots of open doors for development. Our customers can rely on us because we aim high, support each other, do the right thing and build for the future.
We invest in our colleagues. On top of a strong market competitive salary, you get a bonus opportunity that matches the impact (delivery + values) you drive in your role. We also help you retire better with market leading pensions.
At NewDay, #yourwellbeing matters: NewWork, our flexible, hybrid working approach, helps you to manage your work/life balance - and even bolt on work time in other countries before or after your holiday. And when you’re in the office, you get free healthy breakfast, fresh juices, lunch, barista coffee etc.
Our tax efficient green car and cycle to work schemes save you money (and help the planet).
You get 26 days holiday and can buy up to 5 more after probation. Then you’ll get extra days as you build your career with us.
Ask your Talent Acquisition Partner to tell you more about any of our perks.0-12 months you'll deliver
What You'll Bring
- Use sophisticated statistical and machine learning techniques to identify new trends and relationships in data.
- Develop knowledge of all relevant data resources within NewDay and in the wider Credit Industry.
- Harvest, wrangle and prototype new data sources internally and external to NewDay to create new value for NewDay and our customers.
- Research, test and recommend new algorithms or products as these fast paced technologies develop, keeping NewDay at the forefront of innovation.
- Present approach and output to senior managers and partners, adapting the level of detail as appropriate.
- Governance: support the models throughout their lifecycle from conception, development, implementation, testing and monitoring, with the required level of documentation to follow internal procedures and standards.
- Mentorship: provide support to peers and junior specialists of the team and help contribute to the wider team’s output
We need knowledge, experience + expertise in:
- Previous experience in developing credit risk models, i.e. predicting risk of defaulting of new applicants/existing customers.
- Proficiency in statistical data modelling techniques
- Proficiency with open source analytic coding in Python
- Experience with statistics/machine learning packages such as scikit-learn, pandas, numpy, etc.
- Good SQL/data manipulation skills required including cleaning and managing data
- Experience in data visualisation and communication
- Experience with working with raw datasets and perform data wrangling pre-modelling
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- MSc or PhD in Data Science related field (e.g. Machine Learning, Statistics, Mathematics)
- Experience within a regulated financial services organization
- Ability to present sophisticated findings clearly, adapting the level of detail to the audience
- Experience in supporting model deployment and working with DevOps/Implementation teams
In the NewDay Tech team, you’ll join an Expert or Leader career pathway. This will guide you on what your next step here could look like, with regular and open feedback to help you build capabilities to move forward.
Let’s talk about this role – contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We work with Textio to make our job design and hiring inclusive.