Johns Associates is an award-winning multi-disciplinary environmental consultancy with Investors in People Platinum status based on the outskirts of the Georgian city of Bath. A CIEEM Registered Practice, we work across a wide variety of sectors including conservation agencies, local and national government, education, renewable energy, sport, transport, housing, utilities, and defence. We specialise in ecology, landscape architecture, GIS and green and blue infrastructure, and have a strong reputation for dealing with complex and challenging projects, providing the best outcomes for our clients, the environment and local communities.
Due to the growth in the number and scale of our bat projects, (including more challenging work requiring advanced skills, research and bat conservation), we are looking to recruit an enthusiastic Bat Ecologist/ Ecologist with a Natural England Level 2 class licence and experience of working under bat EPS licences to join our friendly and experienced team. This permanent position is open to candidates seeking either a full- or part-time position and is based at our Grade II listed offices in Bradford on Avon but with home-working available as part of our Flexible Working Policy. The successful candidate would work closely with our Lead Bat Ecologist, who holds Level 3 and 4 class licences and numerous EPS licences including for rare species such as horseshoes and grey long-eared bats.
The role will involve:
- Efficient management and delivery of projects/ tasks with a focus on bats, across a range of sectors and within focused and multidisciplinary projects.
- Undertaking field surveys including Preliminary Roost Assessment / Daytime Bat Walkover surveys for bats, Ground Level Tree Assessments and activity surveys.
- Overview and co-ordination of bat survey equipment.
- Production of high quality, robust written documents, including bat survey reports, PEAs, bat aspects of EcIA/ES, HRAs and EPS Licence applications (with support where necessary).
- Robust bat data analysis / interpretation skills including statistical analysis.
- Acting as day-to-day client interface.
- Co-ordination of specialist sub-consultants as required.
- Writing quotes/ tender proposals for relevant projects across a range of sectors.
- Mentoring junior staff members as required.
- A relevant degree(s) and appropriate membership of CIEEM.
- At least 3 years relevant consultancy experience with strong working knowledge of relevant legislation, policy and best practice.
- Natural England Level 2 Class licence for bats
- Preparation of EPS licence applications.
- Knowledge of, and proven ability in, the ecology and identification of all UK bat species.
- Working knowledge of the most up-to-date bat guidelines and survey techniques (including use of infra-red videography).
- Good competency in the use, management, deployment of range of bat survey equipment.
- Confident at independently conducting all types of bat surveys associated with a Level 2 Class licence.
- Strong experience in the preparation of bat reports.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Positive outlook and enthusiastic individual.
- Experience of working under bat EPS Licences (as an accredited agent or as second ecologist) including on-site bat supervision and roof strip work.
- Bat handling experience.
- Qualification in tree climbing and aerial rescue, and experience in using this for aerial bat tree inspections.
What We Offer
In addition to the opportunity to work on a wide range of interesting projects across a number of sectors as well as to develop your skills and experience in a supportive environment, Johns Associates offers the following benefits and rewards to all staff:
v Competitive salary, dependent on skills and experience
v Flexible Working Policy
v Contributory pension scheme*
v Employee Health Cash Plan and Private Health Insurance*
v Annual leave entitlement of 28 days (pro-rata), plus Bank Holidays
v Up to 5 days external training allowance per year, plus internal training/ mentoring
v Company sick pay scheme
v Cycle to Work scheme
v Flexible working and a balanced approach to working hours
v Payment of annual CIEEM membership and support to upgrade membership when appropriate
v Access to company and/or hire vehicles, plus payment of business mileage
v Company laptop and iPhone
v Discretionary bonus
* On successful completion of a three-month probationary period.
To apply, please submit a CV and covering letter/ email to email@example.com