The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers to release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.
We have already attained a market leading position and KrakenFlex is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
Sennen has recently combined forces with KrakenFlex! Our vision is to transform infrastructure through technology, for a more sustainable world. Our mission is to become the go-to technology provider for renewable energy operators who are serious about safety, automation and efficiency at scale.
Deployments are to AWS - Sennen’s own account or a client’s account - entailing multiple databases and Docker services to facilitate our complex data integration processes, to drive our state-of-the-art applications. We're preparing for our largest solution to date, a multi-site five year partnership with EDF Renewables. In addition to our ongoing solutions for clients including London Array and Foresight, we have a healthy pipeline of new prospects and ambitious growth plans.
You'll provide the infrastructure, security and automation that underpins 24*7 production ops, ensuring we remain robust, nimble and efficient as we scale up. We have several existing infrastructure provision processes, as well as an ambitious roadmap of changes, and we’ll welcome your insights around the resources and evolution of the environments.
We offer a collaborative and friendly culture, with a flat structure. We can offer technical mentoring and guidance while you progress into delivering on more challenging objectives. You'll also have lots of autonomy, with plenty of time for research, to try things out and to complete projects. You'll find us open minded and supportive of your development and ideas.
Now is a great time to join us as we expand further, potentially becoming our lead on platform operations.
What you'll do
- Reviewing and upholding security across services running on AWS and within Linux
- Actively reviewing and implementing resilience and continuity/DR
- Implementing production and dev environments for new clients
- Representing the production considerations through solution planning, design and implementation phases, standups, retrospectives etc
- Migrating older environments to our latest setup, without significant downtime
- Overseeing the move of all our production databases into Kubernetes (EKS)
What you'll need
- To be ready to help inform, shape and run a dependable, attentive, approach to site reliability engineering
- A depth of ability with developing and running production services on AWS and with EKS
- Solid technical abilities in automation, Terraform, Kubernetes admin and Linux
- Experience in provisioning and managing SQL and NoSQL database architecture, including backup/restore provisions
- A readiness to grow into improving security, resilience, reducing vulnerabilities
- An appreciation of CI/CD principles
- Optionally, some Azure admin skills
- Curiosity, pragmatism, open-mindedness, adaptability and resourcefulness
- Excellent listener and able to relate to a wide range of stakeholders
- Articulate oral and written skills
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
Ideally you will be based in Bristol - but we appreciate that things have changed and flexibility is at the top of everyone's agenda, so if you would rather be remote please let us know.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.