Our love for the natural world drives us to innovate. Join Vaarst to work on technology that respects and supports the environment. Our actions and innovations play an active role in the energy transition making the world cleaner and greener.
Location: Bristol, UK - Hybrid 3+ days per week in the office
Salary: up to £35,000
Vaarst focuses on making the world a cleaner, greener and safer place by deploying technology for good. We’re using techniques in artificial intelligence, autonomy, computer vision and marine robotics to create a difference in the world with underwater technology for our clients in offshore wind and the subsea industry.
Take a look at one of our products in action
SubSLAM X2 - Unlocking the Future of Marine Robotics - YouTube
Founded in 2021 by our sister company Rovco, we’ve announced funding of more than £15 million, been voted one of the most innovative and sustainable companies working towards net zero and won awards for Best use of AI and Best technology innovation.
Discover your place in a hybrid team of 100+ people that celebrates diversity knowing that every perspective is a valuable part of our success and that empowers you to achieve a fulfilling work-life balance.
Graduate Robotics Software Engineer
As a Robotics Software Engineer at Vaarst you will be working to develop our autonomous systems, building on your knowledge to shape new products and develop solutions to real world problems in the domain of maritime robotics, such as the autonomous inspection of offshore windfarms.
You will gain experience working on the navigation, planning, exploration and control of robotics systems, for operation in complex and challenging environments. With the support from your team, you will build and deploy high quality, robust and safe autonomy solutions. You will also get the opportunity for hands-on experience trailing and evaluating advanced robotic vehicles in the water.
Join the engineering team at Vaarst, this is an incredible opportunity to help further the transition to renewable energy, we’ll welcome your ideas & input and support your continued development as a Robotics Software Engineer.
Other companies might call this: Junior Robotics engineer, Junior Software Engineer, Graduate Engineer, Robotic Engineer, Autonomy Engineer, Software Engineer
Vaarst is an exciting and dynamic environment meaning these are likely to change as we grow, upon joining your objectives and responsibilities will include:
- Continual learning and development of software engineering skills, with lots of opportunities for collaboration with experienced engineers
- Solving hard problems with novel solutions in the field of robotics
- Contributing towards the complete software development process, from conception to deployment
- Collaborating on technical discussions and decisions
- Maintaining, modifying and testing changes to previously developed systems
- Testing and evaluating solutions both in simulation and real-world environments
- Working closely with researchers and the team to productionise cutting edge research
- Breaking down requirements and building appropriate solutions
You Will Also
- Grow your career within a fast-paced and expanding company
- Make an impact in the energy transition space, helping transition from oil & gas to renewables
- Be part of a great company with very talented people that will revolutionise an industry
We’re looking for an experienced and talented software engineer who has what it takes to make a real impact in this role.
(we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role):
- Passion for learning and building high quality robotics software
- Developing modern C++ and Python
- Understanding of software engineering principles
- Experience solving robotics problems, such as:
- Positioning and navigation of robotics vehicles within uncertain environments
- Mapping and path planning through unstructured terrains
- Vehicle dynamics and control of underactuated vehicles using PID, LQR, MPC etc.
- Interfacing with sensors and actuators
- Familiarity with software development tooling, such as: Git, Docker, Jenkins and CI/CD pipelines
- Familiarity with ROS and Linux/Ubuntu
Grow together with Vaarst, you may have some knowledge of the following, if you don't these are areas you'll develop in.
- Conducting field trials and working with real-world robotics.
- Knowledge of Computer Vision techniques such as: SLAM, Visual Odometry, Structure from Motion, Calibration algorithms.
- Automated testing
- Working with 3D and Video data, including mesh and point clouds.
- Using OpenCV, PCL, Eigen libraries
- Using 3D simulation, such as Gazebo.
At Vaarst, we’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone can thrive. Our hybrid-remote approach and state-of-the-art Bristol Office Hub provide a welcoming space designed to nurture your creativity, productivity and well-being.
Inaddition you’ll get an extensive range of benefits so you can focus on doing your very best work:
- Flexible, hybrid working and a 35 hour work week so you can work when is best for you
- 25 days annual leave to start with increasing to 35 days after 6 years + bank holidays
- Sabbatical’s at 4 and 6 years and a £500 holiday voucher at 2 years
- Private medical insurance, including Dental & optical
- Career and learning development through paid courses, conferences and events
- Curiosity fund – up to £500 to spend on learning which is not role related
- Up to 10% company bonus
- 4X life assurance
- Pension up to 6% company contribution
- Volunteering day, to give back to your local community
- Enhanced maternity and adoption leave
- Cycle to work scheme
- Recognition & rewards for doing great work and living our values and behaviours
- Flexible working options including, reduced hours, part time, job share, phased return to work, term time working, compressed hours
- We’re a sociable, tight-knit team with monthly socials
- Hybrid working, Most teams work in our offices 2+ days a week to collaborate and be hands on with our technology. When you do visit our Bristol office is 10 minute walk from the train station, with its own balcony and Fresh fruit & snacks and drinks in the office
Join Vaarst in our mission to make the world a cleaner, greener and safer place by deploying technology for good.
At Vaarst, we've designed a straightforward interview process to ensure the best fit for both you and the company. We have adopted anonymised recruitment. This means that your name, date of birth and other personal details will not be seen by the hiring team.
- Application: Begin by submitting your application with your CV, highlighting your skills and experience relevant to the job. Answer key questions on elements that are important to the role.
- Aptitude Test: Demonstrate your critical thinking, problem-solving abilities, and workplace personality through an aptitude test. It includes a timed cognitive exercise and a workplace personality questionnaire.
- Talent Partner Interview: We will tell you more about the role, the team and Vaarst’s mission. This is a two-way conversation; we want to learn about your motivation, what you can bring to Vaarst, and provide answers to your questions.
- Team Interview: Engage in a 1.5-hour interview with a few team members. Experience the role firsthand and share your skills and experience. We'll discuss our technologies, key skills, and team dynamics. As always, feel free to ask any questions you may have.
- Final Interview: Meet with our Vp Engineering for a 30-minute discussion. This is your opportunity to express your thoughts on the role and ask any final questions. We'll clarify expectations and ensure this role aligns with your aspirations.
- Offer! If you are successful in the process , you'll receive an offer to join Vaarst and become part of our team.
We value the diversity of our teams and are committed to supporting and welcoming individuals from all backgrounds, knowing that every perspective is a valuable part of our success. Should you require any reasonable adjustment throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to let a member of the Talent team know.
Join Vaarst, pioneer technology for a sustainable world, apply now.