Are you looking for an opportunity to work in a company where progress and humility are valued as highly as technical excellence? At M-KOPA we use the latest technologies and tools to build fantastic customer experiences with a socially and environmentally conscious mission that echoes throughout the organization.
You can join our journey too as a Head of Product_ E-Mobility
As one of Africa’s leading fintech lenders, M-KOPA issues millions of micro-loans to our customers every year with a focus on financial inclusion for empowering assets, including Smartphones, Digital Financial Services, and now Electric Motorbikes.
M-KOPA is positioned to lead the African e-Mobility financing sector and as the Head of Product, you will be part of this objective.You will be based in Nairobi or be able to travel there frequently and will report to Managing Director of M-KOPA Mobility.
In this role, you’ll be expected to :
- Know all things electric mobility - from battery supply chains to battery management system AI algorithms to future price curves to electric charger types to manufacturing assembly tax benefits
- Be a key leader in defining the product strategic direction of M-KOPA's electric mobility business
- Design, run, and iterate M-KOPA's electric vehicle and electric charging / swapping tests and feed that input back into product evolution
- Manage M-KOPA's electric vehicle, charging infrastructure, and supply chain partners
We foster a very low-ego environment at M-KOPA, a place where diversity, innovation and collaboration sit comfortably with commercial growth and social impact. The team prizes psychological safety above all. We have a Discovery first approach. Meaning you get to make very clear cases for prioritization of the solutions we develop.
Recognised twice by the Financial Times as one Africa's fastest growing company (2022 and 2023) and by the TIME100 Most influential companies in the world 2023 , we've served over 3 million customers, unlocking $1 billion in cumulative credit for the unbanked across Africa.
At M-KOPA, we empower our people to own their careers through diverse development programs, coaching partnerships, and on-the-job training. We support individual journeys with family-friendly policies, prioritize well-being, and embrace flexibility.Your application should include;
You Might Be A Good Fit If:
- Evidence of Data Driven Product Development and management
- Successful collaborations with cross-functional team members
- Experience working closely with external stakeholders such as supply chain partners
- Technical experience with products involving electric vehicles and/or lithium ion batteries and/or EV battery management systems and/or finance lease software systems.
- Minimum of  years of professional experience working as a Head of Product or Sr. Product manager
- Priority will be given to those with deep technical experience with products involving electric vehicles and/or lithium ion batteries and/or EV battery management systems and/or finance lease software systems.
- Priority will be given to those with market experience in the markets M-KOPA operates in
- You are passionate about products and product management and leading product teams
- You are passionate about electric mobility and lithium-ion batteries and engaging with motorbike drivers, riders and EV companies
- You understand and appreciate the power of credit financing for underbanked populations
- You have experience building electric mobility products and services
- You thrive equally as well in the field engaging with and running customer tests as you do in the Board room reporting on key metrics and building long-term strategy
- You thrive in a fast paced, highly dynamic, work environment
- Be excited about the future of electric mobility and all the social and customer benefits it brings
- You like to have fun and being apart of a close-knit team
- Location: Ideally Nairobi, Kenya - but other locations possible with frequent travel
- Travel: Moderate travel to/within Kenya, and other locations where supply chain partners operate (Africa, India, China, Taiwan, etc)
Our hiring process is as much about us selling to you as the other way round. Our hiring process is a series of meetings as follows;Recruiter call 30 mins - an introduction to the process and M-KOPA
Hiring Team call 45 mins - High level introductions with an Engineer
Presentation/Task done at home 2/3 hrs prep
Task Deep Dive/Final interview 60 mins - This is where most of the magic happens.
M-KOPA is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
M-KOPA explicitly prohibits the use of Forced or Child Labour and respects the rights of its employees to agree to terms and conditions of employment voluntarily, without coercion, and freely terminate their employment on appropriate notice. M-KOPA shall ensure that its Employees are of legal working age and shall comply with local laws for youth employment or student work, such as internships or apprenticeships.
M-KOPA does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’, or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.